A Warm Welcome to 2011!


Happy New Year and welcome to Two and the City! The first day of a new year should be greeted with eagreness and ambition.  My 2011 also called for a great cup of coffee to wake up to a fresh 12 months.  No caffeine detox for this lady, there will be plenty of time for that later in 2011 I am sure.  Like any good blogger would, I am happy to present to you my new years resolutions.

Shop Locally – and blog about it too!
Thankfully, Edmonton already has some great resources that can help seek out restaurants and shops.  Original Fare, for one, offers a directory of local, independent Restaurants that support regional cuisine and products.

Use less packaging – thanks to my new lunch kit and coffee mug!


For Christmas this year I tried to think about things I would actually need, drawing inspiration from the Ecoholic book I received as a gift.  I have set one firm commitment so far to improve my ecofabulousness – start bringing my lunch to work!  Yep, Oodle Noodle is going to miss me in 2011.  So with my new Credible Edibles lunch kit and reusable coffee mug that doesn’t drip I feel about 75% on my way to meeting this goal.  The other 25% will require me to actually make my lunch, a task I have never been very adept at (you can ask my mom).

Practice yoga more often – hello new orange lululemon mat!
My family presented me with a Lululemon gift card for Christmas.  Fantastic! Now what lulu goodies should I get??  The answer to part of this question became clear at Drum Ashtanga class on Wednesday as my hands slipped along my mat despite how hard I was pushing into the floor and I noticed little dents where the surface is starting to erode.  New Yoga Mat it is I thought, and excitedly hurried stagiht to Lululemon after class to claim my new orange (correction: Persimmon and Coal) yoga mat.  I see good times in our future Persi!

Buy only products not tested on animals
While this is always a goal of mine, not all companies will state whether or not they test on animals.  And in some cases, brands you thought would be cruelty-free are in fact subsidiaries of larger companies that are very well know for their animal testing practices.   Thankfully, Peta has a great database where you can search for cruelty-free companies.  My goal for 2011 is “if I’m not sure, don’t buy it”.  I also used this rule the other day when I squealed with delight at the resurgence of slouch socks and carried them around with me for quite some time pondering whether I should buy them.

Become more appreciative of the arts and culture in Edmonton – and again… blog about it!!
Sadly, I can count on one hand the number of shows, festivals, and local galleries I attended last year.  This has to stop.  I don’t have a firm plan for 2011 yet, but I am thinking this is where Susan will come in as inspiration.

There you have it! All perfectly feasible goals for 2011.  What are your goals? Do we have any common resolutions?? Let us know what you have set your resolve for in 2011!

p.s. I also pledge to eat more vegan chocolate in 2011 and beocme a wine connosiure but I didn’t want you to get the wrong idea about me : )

Advertisements
Comments
4 Responses to “A Warm Welcome to 2011!”
  1. You should check out the varscona theatre. I am not sure if they still do it or not, but they used to have Friday Improv nights and it was so much fun to go watch. Plus admission was only $10 or something so it was a good deal!

  2. Callie says:

    I love your resolutions, they are much like mine! I shop local but would love to focus more on in-season (for food).I also want to practice yoga more often (and try a few other activities like snowboarding and dance).

    The resolution I loved most was your last one about arts and culture in Edmonton. I feel like I’m just starting to appreciate all that Edmonton has to offer and want to discover more!

    I’m equally as passionate about discovering more of who I am and am glad to have found your blog. I’m in my mid-twenties and don’t want to “waste” them, so I’ll happily follow your advice!

    P.S. I’m from Edmonton and just started a blog that will probably cover alot of the same topics as yours!
    P.P.S. Sorry for the long-winded comment 🙂 Just excited!

    • Thanks Callie! So glad you found our blog. We are equally excited about this blogging journey. I hope we can provide you with some inspiration and laughter. We will definitely be paying your blog a visit! best,
      L & S

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: